We have made a start

Posted on

What a great start to the new boar season. We left on Sunday 20th October 13 having shot at home with our syndicate on the Saturday. It was a great day but an early start as we had to pick up the mini buses for the Sunday. Linda Mellor arrived on the evening so out to the Bird in Hand to have a meal and talk about the trip. Sunday started with a drive down to Folkestone and once on the shuttle we got the drinks basket out and had a friendly drink together, the first chance that the two mini bus fulls had to meet.

A drive down to South west Paris and a good meal and drinks in the Hotel , most wanted to get to bed as we had a early start the next morning

Breakfast in the hotel and off we went for the short journey to the shoot. We had another breakfast and coffee, safety talk and met the french guns who would join us. The tromp de chasse played in the court yard of the Chateau and we loaded up to head for the hunting ground. It was not long before the first few shots rang out. Full boar rifles have a sound of their own. Horns were being blown to signal the first boar had been shot, and this turned out to be one of our own guns. Susan and I were taken up to the top of the hill in the middle of the shoot and at once had boar running past us . It was very exciting to start like that. After a second drive there were boar and red calves in the bag and as it was now 1.00pm we went back to the Chateau for an excellent lunch. Great food and great wine that made the normal shoot day pack up look a little plain.

3 more drives in the afternoon with plenty of shooting and we ended the day with 15 boar and 3 red calves. The tableu was presented on the lawn of the Chateau and the tromp de chasse played  for the Boar , the red calves and then for st Hubert.

A wonderful buffet was then laid on and plenty of wine. At around 11.00pm we started to bid our hosts goodbye and then the short journey back to the hotel. David , Sue and myself had had a full on day and were shattered but that did not matter as our guests were over the moon with the whole day. A quick half to relax and that was it. A good sleep before the trip back.

The 3rd day we made our way back via Terre et Eau for some essential hunting related shopping and arrived home about 6pm.

We were made to feel very at home by our French hosts. The guns were great and truly enjoyed their day shooting.

A big thank you to everyone concerned and to my wife Susan and David for their hard work making this such an outstanding hunt.